Japanese and European nuclear industries partner to promote nuclear energy development.
Brussels, 26 April 2023: nucleareurope and the Japanese Atomic Industrial Forum (JAIF) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to strengthen their collaboration in advancing nuclear energy’s development, application and deployment to meet energy security and climate change goals. The signature of this MoU took place under the umbrella of the G7 Meeting in Sapporo, Japan and the JAIF annual conference, held last week.
“Thanks to our mutual understanding that achieving a decarbonized society will not be possible without nuclear energy, I am sure that our two organizations will continue to complement each other by working on issues common throughout the nuclear industry”, states Yves Desbazeille, Director General of nucleareurope. “This reinforced cooperation will allow JAIF to continue to work to strengthen the infrastructure of the nuclear industry, promote nuclear power as a contribution to resolving energy security and climate crisis, promote nuclear innovation, and so forth”, adds Arai Shiro, JAIF’s President.
The MoU addresses six main areas of cooperation:
- Approaching governments and international organizations to promote understanding of the utilization of nuclear energy for diverse purposes, and to expand support for nuclear power, which contributes to resolving energy security issues and the climate crisis.
- Supporting accelerated innovation in clean nuclear technology and international activities of the nuclear industry, as well as sharing information related to business environments conducive to investment in key industrial sectors and emerging technologies.
- Promoting human resource development through international exchange activities under various umbrella relevant initiatives, with a specific focus on the younger generation.
- Sharing information related to supply chains.
- Sharing information on the fuel cycle management and back-end activities.
- Participating in mutually beneficial operations and events hosted by each other.
Click here to download the statement in full.
About us: nucleareurope is the Brussels-based trade association for the nuclear energy industry in Europe. The membership of nucleareurope is made up of 15 national nuclear associations and through these associations, nucleareurope represents nearly 3,000 European companies working in the industry and supporting around 1,100,000 jobs.
For more information, please contact Jessica Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org