From 9 – 18 November 2022, the 27th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP27) was held in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt. The goal of COP is to bring parties together to accelerate action towards the goals of the Paris Agreement and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
As in previous years, the nuclear sector was represented at this major event and nucleareurope continued to provide support to the Nuclear for Climate initiative. This was a grassroots initiative gathering over 150 associations with the goal of educating policymakers and the public about the necessity of including nuclear energy among the carbon-free solutions to climate change. Nuclear for climate brought together professionals and scientists of the international nuclear community, coordinated via regional and national nuclear associations and technical societies. The international community recognised the urgent need to decarbonize electricity generation to protect people and the planet from air pollution and climate change.
Were you at COP27 in Sharm El-Sheikh? If so, then feel to contact me for a quick chat about how nuclear contributes to achieving global decarbonisation targets! Contact Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Interested in events which happened last year? See below
Check out the following calendar of nuclear events happening at COP27! These events will also be streamed online for those unable to travel to Egypt.
7-20 November 2022
Nuclear energy’s contribution to climate change mitigation
Low carbon financing to enable clean energy transitions
Financing new nuclear build
Achieving a clean energy mix: the role of new nuclear technologies
Nuclear Energy: A Promising Pathway to Zero-Carbon Hydrogen at Scale
Meeting the energy challenge: nuclear’s role in a sustainable and secure low-carbon future
- Climate Change & Clean Energy (SDG 7 & 13) :
- UNECE Carbon Neutrality Toolkit
- New nuclear solutions: Small Modular Reactors – nucleareurope, 26 October 2022
- Ensuring an affordable and stable energy transition – nucleareurope, 9 March 2022
- Role of nuclear in a low-carbon Europe report – Update – nucleareurope, 13 January 2022
- Importance of long-term operation of the existing EU nuclear fleet – nucleareurope 14 December 2021
- Pathways to 2050: Role of nuclear in a low-carbon Europe – 2021 updated results – Compass Lexecon, 30 November 2021
- Long-term Operation of the existing nuclear fleet. nucleareurope, July 2019
- Jobs and Economic Growth (SDG 8): Nuclear Energy. Powering the economy. Deloitte, April 2019
- Health (SDG 3): Medical Uses of Nuclear Technology. nucleareurope, June 2021
- Nuclear’s contribution to achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals, October 2021